DIY Thai Enep

I saw a really cool unique knife a while back. For some reason it came to me again and I found out it was called a Thai Enep. They are used as a machete and even as a throwing knife. I am going to attempt to make a “miniature” one with some metal I have ordered last year. My goal here is to make it small enough to be light weight but at the same time big enough for splitting logs … maybe really really thick twigs 😉

What I will be using –

4130 – ALLOY STEEL SHEET
0.125″ 4130 Alloy Steel ANNEALED Sheet
1.5 inches x 10 inches

Purchased from onlineMetals.com for $3.75 (priced as of 9/21/12)

20130509_194415

I almost forgot to take of photo of the stock metal. You could kind of see the penciled outline of the knife.

20130511_121508

Here is the rough cut. You can see the draft of the intended design.

20130511_121549

I replaced my Bosch T118A blade since it got dull from the previous knives. I tried using a Bosch T118G. It had even finer teeth than the T118A but got dull supper quick. The teeth basically smooth out. I then tried to use Harbor Freight T118B. You can see from the picture how it crapped out as well. Harbor Freight T118A performed surprisingly well. I bought a set of mixed blades for $12 but you can get a pack of T118A’s for $6.

20130522_065805

Filed down edges.

20130528_070329

Right side of blade partially filed down.

20130528_070306

Left side rough removal of material (sharpening) up to marked area.

20130529_200643

I tried using foil to shield the spine from heat but failed : Turns out the mapp gas just melted the aluminum foil away lol. The used motor oil was used to quench the blade after the met temperature.

20130530_073407

Using just the mapp gas wasn’t enough to bring the blade up to temperature (when blade is yellowish color). I needed a make shift kiln to establish the temperature.

20130530_072713

This is what i have “brewing” in the back. I got 2 pieces of wooded slate with some nice grains that I decided to use. They have been soaking in wood hardener for 2 days. (The two black pieces are just weight to prevent the wood from floating)

20130530_200401

I drilled some holes in the handle to receive mosaic pins I had remaining from previous projects and lanyard.

20130601_143518

Applying epoxy to the wood slates. I normally use 30min epoxy which allowed plenty of time to adjust the fittings. This time I use 5min epoxy because that is what HF had. I must admit you have a really small window to get it right. The epoxy started setting even after 2 mins.

20130601_144452

Clamping minimizes the gap between slate and tang.

20130601_172132

Final product. I took a couple of whacks at this dried branch. It bit well… well indeed ;D

Sheath Update 8/19/13

20130813_081234 20130813_081222

Made a custom sheath for my enep and moved my Tek lok clip and fire steel over from my other knife. I think its ready for my next trip.

Facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmail

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Time limit is exhausted. Please reload the CAPTCHA.