On my last trip, a 2 night 3 day trip on the AT I was excited to start using my MSR Dragonfly. The main reason I bought this stove is so I can start using gasoline as a fuel source instead of constantly buying butane/propane mix tank and normally debating at the end of the trip if I should keep the partially used up tank for the next trip.
The first thing I quickly notice was how loud this thing was. You can barely have a regular level conversation on its simmering mode. This is the major reason why I started looking into something to shut this thing up right after the trip. I found a stove cap online and on ebay called the DragonTamer which I was really excited to get my hands on until I saw how much it was going for.
The DragonTamer stove cap was my inspiration to built one on my own. Through a lot of research, because stove caps aren’t the most popular topics and with trials and errors and plenty more errors I ended up with this “Dragonfly Muffler.” (this was the first term I searched on google for when I started my research)
- made with lightweight 4130 aircraft grade stainless steel
- weights 1.5oz (more precisely, equivalent to 7 quarters. small price to pay for some peace and quite)
- no underburn (tested with minimum and maximum flame for 60mins each)
- boils 16oz of water 30 secs faster in both medium and max flame compare to original deflector.
- stove can fold with stove cap on
- snug fit (prevents from accidentally loosening and falling out while at camp site, actually once used its takes a bit to get it out)
* precaution – do not leave it out in the rain may develop rust spots.